My agent and editor are currently reviewing Awaken #3. This is one of the scariest moments in an author’s career, the SUBMISSISION process where people start to critically examine your work. My publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, has yet to make an offer on this book. I asked my editor what’s holding them up, and what can I be doing on my end to speed things along. She said to just keep spreading the word about this series.
So, I have compiled a list of ten things you can all be doing to help spread the word about Awaken.
1. Carry a copy of Awaken (or Middle Ground) with you at all times and make out with it in public places. People will definitely ask you why you’re making out with a book cover; it’s an easy way to get noticed and generate conversation.
2. Ask your local bookseller to stock it. Offer to make out with your local bookseller if they agree to carry multiple copies. If your local bookseller is hot and ends up being a really good kisser and you fall madly in love, than you can thank me at your wedding.
3. Tweet about it. Tumble about it. Trot about it.
4. Write and record an original song inspired by Awaken, post it on YouTube and have it go viral. That would be cool. Maybe you’ll sign a music deal. I would buy your album.
5. Call Steven Spielberg, and tell him to buy the film rights to Awaken. Publicity will then be handled by Warner Brothers or Universal Studios or another mega-movie-marketing-mothership, so your job will be done.
6. Bieber Fever. I just wanted to write that.
7. Tattoo the cover art of Awaken to your face, that way if you don’t really like talking to people you will still get the point across that you love this book.
8. Recommend it to friends, boyfriends, neighbors, even animals. Do we know if dogs like to read? Have we tapped into that market yet? What is stopping us?
9. Talk to people about it. Face to face. It’s this old fashioned form of communicating, where you use your lips and voice to make sounds that are words. It’s a dying form of communication, but some people still do it.
10. Okay, you can text people about it too.
Alright, I provided plenty of practical suggestions. I hope to have some exciting news to share soon.